Another of the teas we got this weekend. The beau picked this one out on it’s blueberry merits (the most blueberry smelling dry tea David’s Tea currently carries, I find). I honestly don’t even look at white teas that often because they’re expensive. Luckily, they also happen to be light. We picked up 10g of this to give it a go, and that way we can just replenish if we really like it. I’m trying to learn restraint, I swear!

As I’ve mentioned, the dry smell is strongly blueberry…but only strong for David’s Tea. You definitely smell the white tea first, but underneath that you get a sweet blueberry odour, like blueberry candies, or really ripe sweetened berries. The leaves are quite large and lightly fuzzy…all looks well enough on that front. I’m not much of a tea connoisseur, but larger leaves is almost always a good sign.

We let the water cool for 3 or 4 minutes after boiling (we really should get a kettle with a thermometer some day…) and let it steep around 4 minutes as suggester. We’re doing our standard measurements….1 tsp (now 1 “perfect” teaspoon that the beau wanted, so about 1.25 to 1.5 teaspoons) to two mugs of water, in our 11 oz cups. The liquor is a very pale yellow, and the dry smell has actually amplified. Not quite blueberry anymore, but like blueberry/pomegranate juice.

Wow. The taste is actually exactly like the smell. If anything, slightly stronger. Not mugh white tea taste, at least in this first steep (and I don’t expect a tea taste to develop, honestly. DT is all about flavours!) but I am loving it. Stupid expensive white teas. I’ll try to hold off on this and try some others, but this might be a rebuy. THank the heavens that whites are light : )

UPDATE: Made my second steep later on. I forgot about it, so it steeped for about 7 or 8 minutes. That length though was needed to bring it even close to the strength of the first. This one doesn’t really retain that blueberry flavour with subsequent steeps, but it’s still quite nice. It mostly tastes like a mildly sweet mildly flavoured mild tea. Mild mild mild. The lack of re-steep strength is a bit of a downer, so I’ve adjusted the rating a bit.