So, the beau and I went into a fun store full of kitchen wares today to take a peep around. I spotted some tea supplies and went to study them, then spotted tea! There were 4 or 5 random bags of loose tea and artisan flowering teas from Metropolitan Tea Company. Not only that, but they were extremely discounted and still have really far off best before dates. I bought 100 g of this for $3 – Apparently the crazy co2 decaf process makes it last forever. Or something like that.

Anyway, I have practically zero unflavoured black teas and no palate for it at all (YET!), but I figured this couldn’t hurt. At $3, I don’t feel bad if I have to toss it, but if it’s at all palatable I can use it as a base for my highland chai mix from the tea brewery. Win/win, right?

I went light on the steep time, out of fear. I don’t think I needed to, but I don’t regret my choice. 1 perfect teaspoon to two mugs of boiling water (11 oz cups) and only 2 to 3 minutes steeping. It started out as a lovely blonde honey colour, then deepened into an amber. The smell is that of black tea, but lighter and sweeter. The taste is…shockingly sweet. Like there’s already a bit of honey in there. I know there isn’t, but it’s nice. It’s really nice. I could definitely enjoy this on it’s own, or as a base for chai, or something to add some peppermint to, or even to cut other teas I dont like so much. Good thing, since I’ve got a pretty substantial bag of the stuff. At the very end of the sip as it cools there is a hint of something bitter, but it never really forms. This is good as I hate bitterness in my tea, probably why I love flavoured ones so much. All in all this $3 investment was a GREAT one!