drank Premium Ceylon by Bigelow

You know what? I really like this tea. It’s sweet, it’s yummy, it’s tea. Goes a little bitter sometimes, but I find it really sweet otherwise. Nothing leaps out at me though…

I’ve been thinking very seriously about my changing tea tastes recently and realized that I am ready to enjoy plain black teas. I have none, so now I need to buy tea (oh, what a chore!) to test them out. I think I don’t have the energy to go through the hassle of shipping, so I’ll be sticking local on this quest…likely to hurt my chances, but more convenient. David’s Tea has a couple I will try, and I am hoping that Sawadee or The Tea Brewery will have some good ones. I have no idea what I’m looking for, but it should be a good adventure. Maybe I will even become brave enough to try Lapsang!

KeenTeaThyme

Careful on the Lapsang! ;) But enjoy the adventure into to the Land of Black Teas. I still really enjoy Irish Breakfast and English Breakfast teas, especially when I need a wake-up call akin to a slap in the face. lol

Michelle Butler Hallett

DavidsTea has some lovely dependable black teas, including their Organic Breakfast, Lover’s Leap (a Ceylon), and WIld Black Yunnan.

Uniquity

I was interested in most of them…Though I am discouraged by the cost of them, compared to some of their other teas/prices I’ve seen elsewhere. I’m considering an Upton order, but $9.20 shipping to Canada is pretty steep (to me, at least) especially for teas I haven’t tried. Looking forward to trying out DT black teas though! : )

Michelle Butler Hallett

I find Yunnans and Keemuns re-steep well for black teas. Assams, not so much.

Wayne

I’ve been going through the DavidsTea black teas lately and I find personally my favourites are in the following order:
Black Needles (if you can your hands on some of this, do it NOW, it’s worth every penny :)
Margaret’s Hope Darjeeling
Himalayan Traveller’s Tea (Organic)
David’s Organic Breakfast
Keemun
Assam Banaspaty
Organic Lapsang Souchong Star (like KiTT said, be careful.. or do what I did, go out on a limb and buy a whole tin so you can develop a full appreciation for it.. I’m still working on that..)

Now the problem with that list is that most of these, including my top 3, have been discontinued, BUT the company still has some in stock, and your local store might, too. What I did was I emailed the company about Black Needles and they said they could have some sent to my local store for me to pick up! I got 100g which was sent in a bag and they also gave me a free tin at the store. Best. Tea. Purchase. EVAR! :)

Uniquity

I really wanted to try the DT Keemun, but both the stores in my area sent their stock back to the warehouse and it’s not available online anymore, so I guess I’m outta luck on that one. : ( I’ll have to give the rest of them a go. At least the organic breakfast has some keemun in it.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Discon Keemun? Wow. I hope they bring in another one. A good Keemun is very good stuff.

Wayne

Indeed, the Organic Breakfast reminds me a LOT of the DT Keemun – which I still have some of.. I’ve never tried a swap before but I may be willing if you’re interested, Uniquity. :)

Uniquity

I went in over the weekend – Noticed that all of the cheaper (and highest rated!) black teas have been discontinued in store, and several new (much more expensive) ones have been introduced. I’ve noticed this with a number of their teas lately, actually. After the salmonella incident, the $5 for 50 g peppermint amour disappeared, and now they just stock the $6.50 for 50 g spearmint. Not a trend I am impressed with at all. [/Rant about corporate entities taking us for a ride]

@Wayne – Thanks for the offer, but I’ve set up a swap with SimplyJenW to try out a few new black teas and I don’t want to get too bogged down. Trying to show restraint…though that rarely goes well! I’m trying to remember if the Organic Breakfast was one of the ones that got cut… Maybe I’ll need to take another look ’round the store. : )

Wayne

No, the Organic Breakfast is still part of their “permanent collection” as far as I know.

Comments

KeenTeaThyme

Michelle Butler Hallett

I find Yunnans and Keemuns re-steep well for black teas. Assams, not so much.

Margaret’s Hope Darjeeling
Himalayan Traveller’s Tea (Organic)
David’s Organic Breakfast
Keemun
Assam Banaspaty

Wayne

81 – 100: WOW. This is the cream of the crop.
0 – 40: No thank you, please. Take it away and don’t make me finish the cup.

Canada