drank Boston Blend by Harney & Sons

I can finally smell and taste again, yay! That means it’s time to delve into the treats that SimplyJenW sent me recently. I decided to start with Boston, based solely on it’s delicious dry smell. I get a distinct rich fruity smell, not much of a tea base underneath, but that’s fine. The liquor once steeped is a rich brown with a red/amber tinge…One of the colours I’d expect from a black tea.

The steeped smell is very rich and creamy, very thick smelling (if that’s even possible). No ‘tea’ smell, but an almost vanilla scent in there, reminiscent of vanilla comoro. I get a fruity smell, but nothing identifiably cranberry.

First sips yield a creamy fruity tea, with a hint of amaretto style almond aftertaste and a very slight tinge of bitterness. I gave this around 2 minutes 45 seconds, to avoid over-steeping. As the tea cools, the richness I initially experienced thinned out a bit, but the berry flavour became more dominant. I don’t know that I could identify it as cranberry, but it’s pretty hard to capture a flavour that specifically. This reminds me of another cranberry black tea I have from Joy’s Teaspoon called Crannyberry…though it’s been a while, so that might not be a true recollection.

All in all, this is really nice. Definitely an enjoyable cuppa, it seems a wonderfully absent-minded sort of tea. The black tea flavour continues to come out more strongly as the cup cools, and I’m enjoying that right now. I’m still in a straight black tea rut and really feeling that, but this is a great fruity alternative. Losing that slight hint of almond, but the fruit and tea flavours are more than enough for me!

Thanks again, SimplyJenW! I can’t wait to try the rest of my lovelies!

SimplyJenW

So glad to hear you are feeling better!

Uniquity

Thanks, Jen! : ) Update: Made a second pot with the same leaves this afternoon and it was really good. No more almond flavour, but still a vague berry, really enjoyable. 2 tsp of this tea gave me, in total, 6 12 oz cups. Not too shabby!!

ashmanra

I really enjoy this one hot and cold, and to me it changes personality when cold!

Uniquity

I can see that..my second cup was much cooler and was like drinking a totally different tea. And that was just at room temperature!

ashmanra

Mmmm-hmmmm! Hot, it is quiet, solitary, book-reading peaceful tea. Cold, it is bright and sunny. I can almost hear Katrina and the Waves singing “Walking on Sunshine!”

teawing

Did I hear an 80’s musical reference?

ashmanra

:) Just told everybody how old I am!

QuiltGuppy

I hear you… and I think I know all the words to the song.

Me too…..

Uniquity

I was listening to it last night, actually. Thought Ashmanra had wonderful timing! : )

teawing

That makes us all classics I guess…

Indigobloom

haha me to. but then I love music almost as much as I love tea! :P

Comments

SimplyJenW

So glad to hear you are feeling better!

teawing

Did I hear an 80’s musical reference?

ashmanra

:) Just told everybody how old I am!

QuiltGuppy

I hear you… and I think I know all the words to the song.

Me too…..

teawing

That makes us all classics I guess…

Indigobloom

haha me to. but then I love music almost as much as I love tea! :P

41 – 60: Not likely to keep drinking…hoping hubby will enjoy!
0 – 40: No thank you, please. Take it away and don’t make me finish the cup.

Canada