drank Golden Snail by Harney & Sons

This evening, we’re sampling the beautiful golden snail, thanks again to SimplyJenW. The beau prepared this one, so it has double the leaf I would have used for our cups…accordingly, I anticipate a pretty serious cup of tea. The leaves don’t seem to have fully unfurled in the first infusion…I know black teas aren’t really meant to be re-steeped, but I do it pretty regularly and I find that Harney teas stand up to it really well. I’m fairly certain this will be another one that can take a couple goes.

The liquor is a deep brown with reddish tinge and has a wonderful chocolate aroma, much like the bakers chocolate my Mum uses for some of my favourite chocolate dipped cookies. Now I really want some of those cookies, I bet they’d be AMAZING with this tea…

First sips are strong chocolate flavour, rich dark bakers chocolate. At the same time though, it’s definitely tea. I really like it…odd since I always thought I hated the flavour of chocolate in tea. This is a good mix of a good black tea and my grandmother’s beloved cocoa. I don’t get a sweet chocolate taste at all, but at the same time there is a lingering sweetness in my mouth. This only confirms and continues my general adoration for black teas…Especially bold ones.

Question for you steepsterites: How does this compare to Upton Tea’s Golden Monkey? The beau and I are really interested in putting that one in our imminent order, but I don’t really know what to anticipate, and since it is one of the pricier ones in my very large order, I’m a little hesitant. I understand that Upton’s Golden Monkey isn’t really meant to be so cocoa as this, and that’s great by me, but I have it in my head that the Golden creatures must be at least a little similar.. : )

SimplyJenW

This one is more complex and toasty than Golden Monkey in general. Upton’s Golden Monkey is lighter and smoother than this. The cocoa notes in GM are sweeter rather than dark cocoa notes.

Uniquity

Second pot yielded an equally robust and cocoa flavoured tea. I drank the last bit cold this morning and was impressed at the flavour cold as well. Definitey will be trying a third pot later on. Impressive tea!

@SimplyJenW, thanks for the comparison! I think we might go for the Golden Monkey, since this isn’t available at the moment anyway and the Monkey sounds really good as well! : )

Comments

SimplyJenW

Uniquity

81 – 100: WOW. This is the cream of the crop.
0 – 40: No thank you, please. Take it away and don’t make me finish the cup.

Canada