drank Extra BOLD Masala Chai by 52teas

Okay. Months later, I have opted to try this. The first thing I wonder is how others are steeping this? It is far too fine and dusty for my metal infuser, so I’m steeping it in a T-Sac but I even managed to shake some tea dust out of that. I gave it three minutes to steep, no additions, water that wasn’t quite boiling, as it came from the spigot at work.

First sips are confusing. Not the hit over the head ginger and cinnamon taste I expected from similar “bold teas”. At the front of the sip, there is a rich flavour, slightly bitter black tea, but almost more on the edge of the coffee. The end of the sip is well balanced, with a hint of ginger burn on the tongue (if that makes sense). I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it. I do think it would hold up spectacularily to a proper stovetop method with milk, which is saying a lot for me. I think this might be better with a hint of honey to sweeten out the rough edges (ground tea obviously comes off a bit bitter. Silly tannins).

I think I will take it home to make there, as I can’t try stovetop OR honey at work. I greatly prefer 52Teas Gingerbread Chai to this one, but I think that this might be just the thing on a biting winter day, with snow blowing in my eyes and ice trying to trip me on every step.

Update: I found a bit (and I mean a bit!) of white sugar that I had hidden in the cupboard for emergencies. I stirred it in (maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon) and I find that it has managed to mellow out some of the slight bitterness without really adding any sweetness. That’s a yay! Definitely confirming my thoughts about this being a winter tea. Would make a good latte if I had that skill.

Uniquity

Further update: drink while hot, as it cools it gets more bitter than I would like and almost leaves a coating on my tongue and teeth.