drank Northern Lights by DAVIDsTEA

This is part of a sample I purchased from David’s Tea in July when this one came out – and I am finally getting to it! In aroma (both dry and steeped) the juniper berries and mint are the stars of this show. They were actually so potent as to make my eyes water when I brought the tea too close for a sniff. I know that might turn a lot of people off, but I LOVE mint and have a distinct fondness for juniper berries, so this is exciting. I am a little worried about how those elements will work out with the apples but these are all ingredients I love independently.

First sips are a little underwhelming. Hint of something fruity sweet at first, with minty ‘burn’ at the end. Nice, nothing very show-offy about the blend. I wonder if perhaps there aren’t too many ingredients and they are muddling a little bit. I’m definitely enjoying this (especially the coolness of the mint) but I’m not quite as impressed as I’d hoped. I was thinking this might be an okay Mojito replacement, but I don’t think that will work. I’m not sad to have this, but I don’t see the need to buy more. A nice middle of the road tea.

As I get further in the cup I almost wonder if I would like it better sans apples. Although then it’s pretty much just mint and juniper berry. I think this one was meant to be iced, and I imagine that would create a totally different set of flavours altogether. I think this would be great for when I have a cold. I just got over mine, but hopefully I’ll remember to dig it out next time!

(Cooler cup yields stronger apple taste, tempered by Juniper with mint in background. Very strange, especially with the apple sweetness. Very very weird.)

Tamm

Do the juniper berries give it that Christmas tree taste?

Uniquity

Not for me, but I really enjoy Juniper – I didn’t really notice much juniper here though. Except right at the beginning, it was really just apple and mint, which didn’t play so well together as it cooled. There are Juniper berries in Detox from David’s as well, if you haven’t tried that.

Tamm

I actually haven’t had any David’s! :O I had been waiting b/c the shipping was so high but now that it’s only $5 I’ve been trying to scope some out to try for my birthday later this month :D

Uniquity

Mmm, Birthday tea!! Honestly, I would suggest passing on this one unless something about the idea of it really grabs you. For David’s, this is a bit of a flop and kind of forgettable. In my opinion, at least!

Tamm

This type of review is exactly why I like this site! I love seeing why people don’t like a particular tea tells me a lot about it. :p And birthday tea is awesome!!!

DaisyChubb

Oh my gosh a birthday tea David’s order!!! Definitely scope around the reviews and see if you can find something that tickles your fancy, oh that’s exciting :D

Tamm

Oh I’m excited! I’m really tempted by that lychee I saw the other day b/c it’s my favorite fruit. Today I took a peek over there and they have their new line for winter. The Alpine Punch though looks an awful lot like Teavana’s Zingiber though. My husband wants to try the Buttered Rum and he isn’t even a huge tea person.

DaisyChubb

Buttered Rum for sure my dear, it’s a favorite for almost everyone – even tea haters!

Uniquity

If you like mint and chocolate, Read My Lips tends to universally satisfy!

Tamm

mmm, Uniquity that one sounds good too! Basically all of them sound good. :p the long life oolong and the milk oolong also keep catching my eye. I don’t know how anyone can live near these places and not buy the whole shop!

Comments

Tamm

Do the juniper berries give it that Christmas tree taste?

Uniquity

If you like mint and chocolate, Read My Lips tends to universally satisfy!

Tamm

81 – 100: WOW. This is the cream of the crop.
0 – 40: No thank you, please. Take it away and don’t make me finish the cup.

Canada