Profile: Liquor is golden brown. Aroma is heavily toasted, with notes of caramel, coffee, and charcoal. Taste is similar, though the toastiness is lighter, the caramel sweetness is more apparent, and notes of coffee and charcoal are muted, replaced with a green woodsiness, revealing that this is, in fact, a green tea (bancha). Aftertaste is long and sweet, with the toastiness lingering for minutes. Mouthfeel is smooth, with no astringency or bitterness.

Other notes: The flavor of this tea is quite unique, due to the use of charcoal during the roasting process. Caffeine content is also lower, which makes houjicha better suited than other teas for evenings.

Verdict: A thoroughly enjoyable experience with a unique flavor profile and very long finish. It has become my drink of choice at night, for relaxation and warmth. I will be ordering more of this wonderful tea from Den’s.

I am a college student who spends inordinate amounts of time on the internet while sipping tea and savoring fine chocolates. My tastes are more refined than my wallet can afford.

Loose leaf tea has been an indulgence of mine since 2006, beginning with samples from Adagio and Upton Imports. Prior to that point, I subsisted solely on supermarket sawdust. Nowadays, I tend towards Japanese sencha, Chinese oolongs, and Darjeeling blacks.

Aside from drinking tea, common activities include: psychology research, browsing Wikipedia and Reddit, PC gaming, watching anime, lurking in IRC, hiking in the wilderness, nature photography, reading science fiction and fantasy literature, and engaging in futile philosophical discussions.

Ratings:
90-100: Exceptional. Must have.
80-89: Great. Will drink regularly.
70-79: Good. Will drink again.
60-69: Above average. Will drink.
50-59: Average. Won’t drink again.
0-49: Bad, by varying degrees. Won’t drink.

I don’t inflate my scores, and I have no brand loyalty. Average is 50, not 70.

United States