This was the first tea I had upon arriving at the Samovar Tea Lounge in Zen Valley last Friday following our excursion to the SF Zoo. To round out the picture, my older son, 8, had Tea Lemonade (it was awesome! Not sure what was in it but it tasted like green tea and lemonade), my younger son had Moorish Mint, which I adore and he liked at first but grew weary of after a few cups, and my BF had Tart Peach which was lovely as well.

This was served in a little pitcher with a built in strainer, and an accompanying cup.

I have quite enjoyed many of the Samovar Pu-Erhs, but this was not my fave, for a reason that is extremely subjective. I thought I might get a chocolate flavor out of it, and I did get some around the edges, but it was secondary to a somewhat alcoholic flavor that predominated. To be precise, the main flavor I got from it was brandy, cognac perhaps, and I am not a fan of either of those flavors. Like most pu-erhs I have tasted it is overly simplistic to reduce this one to a single flavor, and I could discern as well the earth, bark and barnyard components. But the overwhelming note was the brandy. If you like that flavor, you will love this.

I give it points for obvious quality, though.

Azzrian

Tart Peach? I don’t recall seeing this on their website! Sounds yummy!

byronicone

I wouldn’t have been able to pinpoint brandy. Nice callout…

__Morgana__

Did you taste that as well, byronicle?

byronicone

I’m not really a brandy drinker, but I can definitely see where you were coming from on that one.

Kuroneko

I drank this recently and had a very strong (negative) reaction to it. I was clearly detecting something unexpected, but couldn’t put my finger on it… it just tasted off. By the end of the tasting, all I could identify was a general “boozy” quality. But it wasn’t till I read your review that I could place the flavor – it’s brandy! Thank you for giving me that much needed “ah-ha” moment!

Comments

Azzrian

Tart Peach? I don’t recall seeing this on their website! Sounds yummy!

byronicone

I wouldn’t have been able to pinpoint brandy. Nice callout…

__Morgana__

Did you taste that as well, byronicle?

Kuroneko

95-100 A once in a lifetime experience; the best there is

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; will likely buy more

70-79 Very good; would enjoy again, might buy again

60-69 Good; wouldn’t pass up if offered, but likely won’t buy again

Below 60 Meh, so-so, iffy, or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California