drank White Pear by Adagio Teas

Next in the Adagio flavored white sampler. Steeped according to package directions for initial foray.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say I think the tea base is exactly the same as the one used for all the other Adagio flavored whites, which appears to be white peony with maybe a silver needle or three thrown in.

To say this tea seems to have elicited strong reactions from some Steepsterites is something of an understatement. ;-)

The more I try the other flavored whites, the deeper into the negative point abyss White Tropics slips. The White Pear doesn’t have a cloyingly sweet smell, artificial or otherwise, to the dry leaf. The only hint I get of pear at all in the dry leaf is an undercurrent of freshness, like a fresh water smell. It’s very faint, though. Mostly I smell white tea.

The liquor is the same clear golden yellow as the other flavored white samples. There’s a very faint smell of something other than tea to the steep. I have to really stretch my olfactory sense to get to pear, though.

The flavor suffers from the same issue as the white tangerine. There’s not enough beyond the tea to really merit the name flavored white. It’s not bad, just not what I’d hope for out of pear.

There’s more of a sweetish pear-like flavor as the tea cools. But I have to wonder how much of this is power of suggestion. I doubt if this was presented to me without my knowing it was supposed to be pear, I’d identify it as pear. It’s probably mostly placebo effect.

It makes me want to run a double blind study: take a plain black tea and call it, oh say, pomegranate and see how many people taste pomegranate. ;-)

A really good pear tea would be awesome, though.

caile

lol The elusive pear!

Dexter

Seems to have been quite a few pear tasting notes the last couple of days. I have some of this, disappointed to hear that you aren’t really enjoying it.

__Morgana__

Dexter, I hope it will be more pear-y for you!

Dexter

LOL time will tell – I have SO many teas to try. I find it interesting that you steeped this for 7 minutes, that seems long for a fruity white – I would be temped to steep for less time see if that helps. :))

__Morgana__

Dexter, yeah, I tend to go with the package directions the first time and then futz with the timing, etc. on subsequent tries. I’m already planning that for this one.

Dexter

LOL ummm my package says 3-5 min – that’s why I was confused. :))

__Morgana__

Oh, I see. Mine said 7 minutes at 180 degrees.

Dexter

Seems like Adagio is confused….

__Morgana__

They may have changed the instructions. My sample is on the older side.

TheTeaFairy

Ah, dexter, I have noticed the same about the sudden burst of pear tea notes, haha!
And I thought pear was underrated!

Kamyria

All I’m seeing today is pear everywhere… lol and there is no pear tea to be found anywhere in my house… Now all I want is to find good pear tea… lol

__Morgana__

I know, right? I didn’t realize there was a bandwagon to jump on until I’d jumped on it. I was just up to the next Adagio sample and it happened to be pear. LOL.

Kamyria

Omg.. Morgana, do you know how many times I thought the same thing? Is it a power of suggestion or do I really taste what I think I’m tasting… lol

LOL Kamyria.

OMG, pear everywhere!!!

Comments

caile

lol The elusive pear!

__Morgana__

Dexter, I hope it will be more pear-y for you!

Dexter

LOL ummm my package says 3-5 min – that’s why I was confused. :))

__Morgana__

Oh, I see. Mine said 7 minutes at 180 degrees.

Dexter

Seems like Adagio is confused….

__Morgana__

They may have changed the instructions. My sample is on the older side.

TheTeaFairy

And I thought pear was underrated!

LOL Kamyria.

OMG, pear everywhere!!!

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California