I was going through my “already tried” sample box (as opposed to the not yet open sample boxes of which there are many) and was shocked-shocked I say-to find that I had a good bit of this sample left and that it was still in the original packet which was NOT SEALED. The ATR sample bags I got back in the day don’t have a zip lock at the top (have they changed that? if not, they should). Still, that’s no excuse. I could at least have stuck the packet into a zip lock myself, but I didn’t. Sigh.

So I decided I had to drink this asap. I really loved it when I first tried it fresh so I was hoping some of the magic was still there. The dry leaf didn’t have a lot of smell left, though, so I was prepared for the worst.

And the verdict is-this one is best drunk fresh. It’s not that it doesn’t have some decent flavor left in it. There’s a lot of lavender in the flavor and the undercurrent of the Yunnan reminds me of what I loved about it in the first place. But the interplay of flavors seems to have gone off some with age-the bergamot, which was light to begin with is all but gone, and the tea base isn’t quite keeping up with the floral. There’s enough that’s still good about it so that I understand why I loved it, though. Still plan to buy some when I come out of lockdown.

sherapop

I must try this! Thanks for these notes!

__Morgana__

I hope you like it! There’s a LOT of flavor in this one. :-)

the sample bags from ATR are still NOT resealable :)

__Morgana__

Thanks Sil, good to know.

Fjellrev

Approximately how many grams would you all say their samples are? 4 servings would I guess be like… 10-15 grams? If so, too bad they’re not resealable when a person would rarely be able to finish it in one day.

__Morgana__

I haven’t weighed them but my guess is you’re right, it’s at least 10g. I steeped this in the Breville and got more than four servings using their measuring spoon. I’d say I get more like 6 servings out of each one.

swedish chef :) – you can get between 4-6 servings from their sample sizes if you don’t drink sil sized cups :)

Fjellrev

Sweet, well it’s nice to know that they’re reasonably priced if you get that much then. Sil sized cups = too much serious business for this Swedish chef. :D

Comments

sherapop

I must try this! Thanks for these notes!

__Morgana__

I hope you like it! There’s a LOT of flavor in this one. :-)

the sample bags from ATR are still NOT resealable :)

__Morgana__

Thanks Sil, good to know.

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California