For my 450th distinct tea represented in these-here notes (as opposed to the number of these-here notes), I thought I’d write about something I’ve been wanting to try for a long time.

This tea has gotten a lot of love on Steepster and I’ve had a sample of it (hermetically sealed) waiting for a special occasion. After tasting it, I have jumped on the love bandwagon.

When I sniffed the tea in the sample packet I thought I’d fallen into a vat of liquid almond croissants! The aroma is of the sweet, buttery, rich almond paste that’s used in pastries like croissants, bear claws, etc. I have not had a brioche (I don’t think I have anyway) but if they smell like this, I must make it a project to have one.

The steeped tea carries that aroma as well, in an amazingly rich, deep fragrance. I would have expected it to be much more dilute. The liquor is a clear chestnut color.

The taste is quite remarkable. I didn’t expect complexity. I expected it to taste like it smelled, more or less. And it does, but it’s not just almond paste. It’s that plus butter, brown sugar, baked goods. It really is a liquid dessert.

As an aside, I’ve started to categorize tea companies in my mind by what I think they do really well in terms of flavors. As examples, I think of Kusmi as great at berry flavors and caramel, but not at chocolate or vanilla. I think of Harney & Sons as great at chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, and rose, among other things. Given my recent tastings of ATR teas, I was ready to conclude that ATR is great at fruit flavors. Now I have to include Brioche along with fruit flavors!

Flavors: Butter, Nuts

pyarkaaloo

WOWWW, what a review! what a tea! this is something i’d totally love…the notes sound amazing. i really enjoy your reviews…you’re so helpful, not to mention eloquent. Also- tea #450…congratulations!!

__Morgana__

Thanks so much, and I’m glad it’s helpful!

boychik

On my wish list for a long time. I just don’t know what else to try to justify the puchase

__Morgana__

Boychick, the apricot and passion fruit blacks are quite good if you like those flavors.

boychik

I do love apricots. Thanks for suggestion. And congrats on 450 review. I like your writing. My middle daughter had a test on creative writing last weekend in specialized middle school. She won’t know the results until may and it drives her nuts. Very ambitious young lady;)

__Morgana__

Boychick, I have a number of other ATR samples I’ll be trying so maybe something among those will sound good to you, too. I wish your daughter best of luck! Ambition is a good thing. :-)

boychik

I’m looking forward to your ATR or any other reviews. Thank you for your kind wishes. Ambition is good until she drives everybody crazy;)

Comments

pyarkaaloo

__Morgana__

Thanks so much, and I’m glad it’s helpful!

95-100 A once in a lifetime experience; the best there is

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; will likely buy more

70-79 Very good; would enjoy again, might buy again

60-69 Good; wouldn’t pass up if offered, but likely won’t buy again

Below 60 Meh, so-so, iffy, or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California