drank Earl Grey Black by Teavana

I found some Earl Greys I hadn’t yet tried. This is one of them. I am guessing this is one of the teas of the month. I don’t have a memory of ordering it separately but I suppose I could have. I mostly ordered unusual mixes from Teavana, though so it would be surprising if I chose this.

It’s really hard to enter flavors for Earl Grey with “bergamot” not among the options. ;-) The dry leaves have the characteristic scent, but it’s a more florally than fruity one. The floral notes continue in the steeped tea’s aroma along with a sweet, molasses-like note in the tea. The tea is a pretty color; light brownish orange.

I didn’t know until I read the description of this that this is a natural antidepressant. Cool. Wonder if it’s the bergamot or the tea/bergamot combination?

The flavor is better than I expected. For someone who prefers a light touch on bergamot, this is a solid Earl Grey. The underlying tea is smooth and mild, without any bitterness. The bergamot is just enough to make this taste like an Earl Grey without making my nasal passages scream and my eyes water.

I actually prefer this to the Todd & Holland I’ve been drinking the past few days though I suspect it isn’t as good a tea on an objective measure. It doesn’t have as much depth, but I like it for its mildness. It goes down easy and doesn’t do a number on my stomach. There’s no minerally, metallic or potato-y note to this.

It doesn’t have a lot of personality, but again, that’s what I think is nice about it. It’s just a nice cup of tea. I still prefer the Samovar and ATR versions overall, but they have definite personalities. This is a cup you can just sit with and enjoy without thinking about it. It doesn’t cry out for analysis and appreciation of its complexity. It just is.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 25 OZ / 750 ML
Sami Kelsh

I was skeptical of the antidepressant claim, and apparently it’s because of the calming effect of bergamot oil. I wouldn’t shelve your Efexor in favour of it, though :p

(That said, I’m scheduling an Earl Grey into my daily rotation…)