drank Almond Biscotti by Teavana

I’m laughing to myself because I said yesterday I had a feeling of deja vu and here it comes again.

Let’s compare ingredients:

Teavana Almond Biscotti—Black tea, almond pieces, cinnamon pieces, and safflower blossoms

SpecialTeas Almond Cookie (and yes, I read the thread about SpecialTeas being a provider to Teavana and that maybe being part of why they aren’t around anymore)—tea, almonds, cinnamon, flavouring, safflower blossoms

American Tea Room Brioche—well-oxidized ebony leaves are contrasted with pale, sliced almonds, bits of cinnamon and vermillion-colored safflower blossoms

It’s possible I have even more of these. Good thing I like them.

I’m fairly sure that the Teavana and the SpecialTeas are the same tea. If not, they’re too close to call in terms of differences. In the bag, they smell identical. In the steeped aroma, they smell very close. To the extent there’s a difference in liquor and taste, I attribute that at first glance to the difference in steeping length. The liquor in this one is a bit less cloudy and the overall taste is slightly less sweet and “less” generally.

I suspect, though, that if I steep this one at 4 minutes I’ll get exactly the same amount of “more.”

Rating it the same as Almond Cookie until proven otherwise. I’ve now read that this was renamed and reblended by Teavana as Amandine Rose and then discontinued under that name too, so it isn’t available either. I’m still liking the Brioche better. Not sure why. Maybe it’s psychological because I know I can get the Brioche, but I also still think it evokes pastry more successfully than the other two.

Flavors: Butter, Nuts

Sami Kelsh

Hey, I’m guilty of having a handful of variations of basically similar things too. You like what you like, you know? And buttery almondy things are good things to like. Aww yeahhhh.

Comments

Sami Kelsh

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California