drank Fantasy Island by DAVIDsTEA

When I first heard of David’s Tea it was only in Canada. Two summers ago, while we were vacationing, I visited a location in Banff. That was in the middle of my tea hiatus, though, so it was sort of a weird one-off experience. I remember thinking the store was lovely and the tiny sample of tea I tasted, which I think was a jasmine green, was also lovely.

Fast forward to 2014 and my re-entry into tea. Come to find out, there is a David’s a few towns north of us now, in Burlingame, CA. Today we were running errands up and down the peninsula and stopped in.

First I have to congratulate myself: I did not walk out of there with any tea except the cup of this I bought. It took a Herculean effort not to rattle off my wish list to the salesperson, but I restrained myself and bought only a few tea ware items. No. 2 tried the Birthday Cake iced (it ended up being too much for him to finish), the BF had Redberry Tonic iced (he loves hibiscus, go figure) and I had this.

It being my first experience of buying hot tea at David’s, I did not realize until much later that there was actually a teabag in the cup. I guess I had the cup turned the wrong way and didn’t see the string, which was tucked under a paper wrapper around the cup, and when I did, I wasn’t sure what it was. I figured they’d use loose leaf in the preparation. Anyway, that bag stayed in there much too long. So I have to mentally discount for that and for the paper drinking vessel.

After doing so, I thought this was quite good. The raspberry seemed just right. The coconut was tasty and mixed nicely with the raspberry, but struck me as a little too much and a little too sweet. I wonder whether that was because of the over-steeping? It had the aspect of a dessert tea, and I think if I was going to try it again, I’d do so as a dessert substitute. I would like to try it again without the over-steeping and in a non-paper cup.

95-100 A once in a lifetime experience; the best there is

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; will likely buy more

70-79 Very good; would enjoy again, might buy again

60-69 Good; wouldn’t pass up if offered, but likely won’t buy again

Below 60 Meh, so-so, iffy, or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California