drank Coconut Cream Pie by 52teas

As best I can tell this is the same tea I have, though the picture and name are different. Mine is called Coconut Cream Pie Flavored Black Tea and it has a picture of a wedge of coconut cream pie pointing toward the left-hand side of the packet. This is another in my antique 52 Teas collection that was in a sealed packet.

Pretty amazing coconut smell coming from the packet. There’s something else, too, which don’t think I would have thought to describe as mint if I hadn’t read that Jason made that connection. There’s a good, sweet coconut of the toasty variety coming out in the aroma of the steeped tea as well (no mint).

I’m expecting good coconut here. The question will be whether the pie makes it in there…

Swing and a miss. I don’t get pie from this, though I know that 52 Teas are fully capable of producing a pastry-like flavor.

So now I’m in a weird rating conundrum. I like this much better than the Buttered Cinnamon Raisin Toast and the Maple Bacon of yesterday, but I think those flavors live up to their names better. So I’m rating them higher though I prefer this tea and will much prefer drinking it to those. I can already tell the chances I’ll get sick of this are nil, and the chances this will do a number on my stomach on certain days are equally nil. I can’t say that about the other two.

I feel like I need a different sort of rating system, like for Olympic figure skating, where they judge both on the technical score and the artistic interpretation. Mine for a tea like this would be 85 for tea enjoyment and 72 for how well the flavor matches the name.

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 30 sec 3 tsp

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California