My first Earl Grey in a few days. It’s nice to change things up every now and then.

Had a terrible scare this morning. Okay, I probably over reacted, but no. 1 got into an argument with his dad and left the house without saying where he was going. I figured he’d come back in in a few minutes, but he didn’t. Took no. 2 to President’s Week Camp figuring that perhaps no. 1 had walked over there. He wasn’t there. Came back ready to call the police, but cooler heads prevailed—got in the car with the BF and started to cruise the neighborhood. Got out of the car to ring the neighbor’s bell and no. 1 was coming out the front door right when I walked up.

We had a long discussion about leaving the house at age 9 without asking permission or saying where you’re going.

My throat was a bit tight from the length of the discussion and from the panicked tears.

This helped.

keychange

Oh my gosh, that sounds very scary. I’m glad everyone is safe and sound. Not being able to appreciate consequences is such a hallmark of childhood

__Morgana__

Thanks so much, and indeed, the consequences thing. And it turns out he told the dad of the family whose house he went to that we knew where he was and it was okay with us. So there’s the honesty piece as well that needs to be worked on. I am thinking I should find old Leave it to Beaver episodes for him to watch, because my recollection is they addressed just this kind of thing each episode. ;-)

boychik

Im so sorry. i can imagine what you are going through. My older one left the house at 6am when she was 6. went to a golf course just because she was bored and everybody were sleeping. i had 3 yr old and infant on my hands. she was picked by security. thank G-d there was no play yet. now my kids would never walk away because they are scared to be kidnapped. another thing, if some kid wonder in my house i would double check with the parents. Im surprised they didnt call you.

__Morgana__

Wow, how far away was the golf course?? How terrifying.

I agree, I would have double checked. But I can’t really fault this dad. No. 1 can be very convincing. I should probably have a chat with them though to let them know I’d appreciate a double check call if he shows up unannounced again.

boychik

Our summer house is on a golf course but she went far down maybe like 3 holes. i wasnt really mad at her because i was terrified myself. i was afraid to scare her. but in my mind… you dont want to know what i was thinking…we had a long talk. she cried and plead not to tell dad. she still remembers she will be 14 soon.

__Morgana__

Well, she learned from it, which is good. :-)

pyarkaaloo

awww, i’m sorry to hear all this transpired. hope your nerves are calmed with some much needed tea time :)

Thank you. :-)

Comments

keychange

__Morgana__

Wow, how far away was the golf course?? How terrifying.

__Morgana__

Well, she learned from it, which is good. :-)

pyarkaaloo

Thank you. :-)

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California