Thank you so much yyz for your suggestion on steeping silver needle. I was definitely doing it wrong.

There’s flavor in them there leaves!

Steeping in the gaiwan at a minute a steep using water that started at about 175 degrees, I’m getting a definite nutty, slightly woody flavor with a sweet aftertaste. The second steep was definitely thicker, a very nice mouthfeel. No bitterness, no planty-ness, but not just like a mouthful of snow either. It’s less dewy and nectary, which is what I thought silver needle tasted like.

I now know there’s much more to it.

I heart Steepster.

music27note

I’m of the mind that steeping instructions for silver needle (no matter where it’s from) should usually not be trusted. When I see directions of 5 minutes, I go with 2 or less…

__Morgana__

I’m really interested to try other silver needles and see whether I have the same success, or whether this one just happens to be a very flavorful silver needle.

Anna

I think that should be a Tea Project.

juliebeth

now i wanna try that too. never had a silver needle.

yyz

Yay! I’m glad that this worked for you!

__Morgana__

Yes, a tea project! And thanks again, yyz!

Comments

music27note

Anna

I think that should be a Tea Project.

juliebeth

now i wanna try that too. never had a silver needle.

yyz

Yay! I’m glad that this worked for you!

__Morgana__

Yes, a tea project! And thanks again, yyz!

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California