I felt like having an unflavored black tea and realized I hadn’t yet tried this.

In the tin, the leaves have an earthy, almost cocoa smell to them which made me think Assam, but it wasn’t until steeped this that I was sure. I also did a Google search for Banaspaty to confirm, but it’s pretty clear from the aroma alone that this is an Assam.
It has what I consider to be a typical Assam aroma, sort of a sharp almost coffee ground-like note across the top with a malty undercurrent. It’s a pretty color, almost a Ceylon red.

The description says this is delicate, but to me it’s not. Then again, it’s not overly heavy either. Its got a medium-full body and is very flavorful, without being super astringent or having a lot of bite like some Assams. Something about it makes me think of trees, deciduous ones, not evergreens (it’s not piney, but it is leafy). There is a cocoa-like note and a honey-like one, and there’s a light maltiness.

I’ve honestly forgotten how and on what basis I’ve rated the Assams I’ve had in the past so I’m rating this one in something of a vacuum. It’s very nice, definitely in the high very good/low excellent range.

Anna

Maybe you can have an Assam-off.

__Morgana__

(Sometimes I laugh my Assam-off!) I think I would have to have a big piece of creamy pie or something to coat my stomach first but I wouldn’t say it’s out of the question. ;-)

Anna

LOL. Also ‘banaspaty’ is an amazing word.

__Morgana__

Yes. And anything with bliss in the title. You can never have too much bliss!

Comments

Anna

Maybe you can have an Assam-off.

Anna

LOL. Also ‘banaspaty’ is an amazing word.

__Morgana__

Yes. And anything with bliss in the title. You can never have too much bliss!

95-100 A once in a lifetime experience; the best there is

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; will likely buy more

70-79 Very good; would enjoy again, might buy again

60-69 Good; wouldn’t pass up if offered, but likely won’t buy again

Below 60 Meh, so-so, iffy, or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California