drank Emerald Lily by Rishi Tea

I don’t think I’ve ever steeped a green tea for this long since my first really awful attempts to steep green tea before I started reading about teas and their various needs. But every single tasting note about this tea indicates at least a 4 minute steep time and Rishi recommends even longer. So I’m giving it a try at 4, figuring the worst that can happen is I get a really bitter, undrinkable mess and I just try again. I’m keeping the temp low, though Rishi recommends 185.

And miracle of miracles, it’s not bitter at all. But I’m not getting as much flavor as I’d hoped for reading others’ notes. I’m not worried, though. I figure I can try a higher temp and/or use gram weight rather than a spoon as I may have underleafed. Then again, it could just be that this is old. It was in a sealed packet, but even so.

I get grass/hay scent from the packet, a butter-vegetal aroma, and a sweet, vaguely floral green flavor. There’s some nuttiness in the after sip, though not very strong,

Not rating for now. I think I can do better with this.

pyarkaaloo

it’s definitely not you. i’m not sure what to make of the flavor on this one.. it’s got a slight ‘corn’ aroma, at least to me, and i think it was mentioned by one other person. apart from that i don’t get any distinct character from this! i feel it’s so light, it’s kinda not there lol…i did get a second steep out of this one, and it tasted pretty much the same…and the leaves opened up some more. but this doesn’t really feel like a green tea, does it?

i was so taken in by the name, too… ‘Emerald Lily’…but the color is anything but green!

__Morgana__

Whew, good to know it’s not just me. I’m determined to get more flavor out of this puppy somehow.

Comments

pyarkaaloo

__Morgana__

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California