drank Silver Needle by Shanti Tea

Sipdown no. 120 of the year 2014. I’m having to do caffeine tonight to get in a daily sipdown… I steeped this one in the gaiwan this time.

Wow. What a difference. It’s like a completely different tea. It must be because of the amount of leaf, because I steeped at a lower temperature (175) and shorter (1 minute) than the first time.

The black tea undercurrent I mentioned in the original note is much more prominent. I’m reminded of the flavor of the green Darjeeling from Shanti, but instead of having the buttery vegetal plus Darjeeling, this one has a fresh, light snowy Darjeeling-y note.

I have a way to go before I feel comfortable that I’m getting silver needle completely right, but I finally feel I’m on the right track at least. Not sure this is the right silver needle for me, though. I have to shop around a bit before I settle down.

I am going to need something comforting after this because I had a disappointment earlier today. I suspected it was coming, because I knew this publisher was in trouble after a merger with another company than seems to have gone awry, but now it’s here. The first magazine to buy one of my speculative stories has announced that it’s releasing all the stories back to the authors. Essentially, they’re shutting down the magazine and all the magazines under the umbrella of this company. My story was supposed to be published (originally) last June, but never was, and then it was supposed to be published sometime before the end of this year. Now it’s been released back to me without seeing publication. It’s rather a saga and I won’t go into it further, but if you’re really interested I posted a note about it on my web site. So sad and disappointing. Such is the world of small presses, apparently.

Dexter

Sorry to hear that your story is not going to be published… :((

boychik

Sorry. Good things will happen, they are just around the corner

__Morgana__

Thanks guys. It sucks, but what can you do. I’m starting to feel oddly uplifted because at least the story isn’t in limbo anymore.

Kat_Maria

Ouch, that sucks :( But just like boychik said, it will all turn out great in the end :)

MissB

Definitely the world of small presses – but that just means now you have ownership of your work again to shop it around for an even better, higher-paying market! :)

__Morgana__

Hehe, MissB, let’s hope so!

Comments

Dexter

Sorry to hear that your story is not going to be published… :((

boychik

Sorry. Good things will happen, they are just around the corner

Kat_Maria

MissB

__Morgana__

Hehe, MissB, let’s hope so!

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California