Today was instrument selection day at the middle school and no. 1 has his heart set on playing the saxophone. He’d pretty much decided he wanted to play it two weeks ago ever since he learned he had to have an elective: art, band or orchestra. My immediate reaction was: great, another instrument I’ll have to fight with you to get you to practice (he’s in his third year of piano lessons). But then I thought perhaps there’d be a synergy. The things he doesn’t like about piano, like counting, might be things band would be incredibly good for learning. I imagine it only takes a few times of playing before the rest of the band because you didn’t count the quarter rest before you step in line.

Anyway. Small brag ahead, so if that sort of thing annoys you skip the next paragraph.

Amazingly, he wailed on all the instruments. On a scale of 1-5, five being the best (judged by the ability to get a coherent sound out of the instrument), he got 5s on sax, flute, trumpet, trombone and baritone, and a 4 on the clarinet. I have no idea where this comes from as I only ever played piano. But that’s one of the fun things about kids. They totally surprise you sometimes.

Anyway, he went to get fro-yo with the BF so I’m having an oolong. Ahhhh. Or perhaps I should say Ooooh. This is actually hitting the spot today. It’s really toasty and flavorful, and reminds me of what I like about dark oolongs. It’s quite fruity in its toastiness. I’m getting something peachy-plummy and some grape.

I shall be having a number of additional steeps of this. Carry on.

Congrats!!!

__Morgana__

Thanks, but I really didn’t do anything—it was all him. :-)

boychik

You didnt do anything? Really?! I think we as parents deserve pat on back too. Don’t you agree? i think i wrote too many question marks :-)

pyarkaaloo

yaaay for dark oolongs! ;) maybe because i’m a hojicha enthusiast ;p

Comments

boychik

Congrats!!!

__Morgana__

Thanks, but I really didn’t do anything—it was all him. :-)

pyarkaaloo

yaaay for dark oolongs! ;) maybe because i’m a hojicha enthusiast ;p

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California