drank Caribbean Breeze by Teavana

Tea mystery!

In the realm of experiences relating to having way too much tea, I usually can’t find some tea or other that I could have sworn I had. Like the Adagio Silver Needle Jasmine.

This one is the opposite. I have the notes to prove I had a sipdown of this once upon a time. And yet, when I dug through my drawer looking for things to take to work, there was a humongoid tin of this.

At first I was kind of upset that I found it because I remember it being too tart to be fully enjoyed without sweetening, but I decided to give it a shot unsweetened. Instead, I basically doubled the amount of mix I’d used previously.

It’s much nicer than my previous notes reflect, and I don’t know whether that’s because I put in so much mix, it’s mellowed with age, or my body chemistry has changed over time and is now more compatible with it.

But whatever the reason, tonight it is not: too tart, too bitter, too uneven in flavor. It doesn’t require sweetening. In fact, it seems to have some natural sweetness and a prominent strawberry note.

This leads me to a generality I’ve been noticing about fruit blends with hibiscus in them. It’s not always true that substantially overleafing can cut the tartness to something enjoyable rather than unbearable, but it’s been true often enough lately that I’m going to continue to do it.

Giving it a significant ratings bump.

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California