I cold brewed this because it’s been rather on the hot side here lately, which now that I think about it may be one of the reasons I’ve not been craving tea.

8 teaspoons of loose leaf to 2 quarts water, steeped in fridge for approx. 20 hours.

I think I could have gone longer. Next time I’ll try at least 24.

It’s a nice “iced” tea, but not very grapefruit-y at all. In looking back at my original note, I see that it wasn’t very grapefruit-y on the first taste either, when I tried it hot.

I’m a little disappointed. I’ve changed my view on grapefruit tea in general. I really like the way it works in tea, and in a variety of teas—black, green, oolong, white—even though grapefruit isn’t my first choice of citrus at the buffet table. (Perhaps because as a kid I was forced to eat it for breakfast, and there were times when it was somewhat frostbitten or otherwise unpleasant in terms of texture.) I had hoped that this would come out with a stronger flavor done cold. But it wasn’t to be.

Question for the cold brew veterans since I haven’t done this much, maybe three times. Is it unusual for the tea to float at the top of the container? By about hour 20 most of it had sunk, but there was still a fairly thick layer of floating tea at the top of the container. I put the tea in after the water. If I put the tea in first, would that make a difference?

keychange

I have no idea but I just want you to know I like reading your reviews.

Cheri

Whenever I’ve tried it, some floats, some sinks, and I’ve always put the tea in first.

Courtney

I’ve put it in both before and after the water and it usually floats, while some sinks. As it gets waterlogged over time, more sinks.

__Morgana__

Thanks keychange! And thanks for the input, Cheri and Courtney. I am glad that my floating leaves are not abnormal. :-)

Comments

keychange

I have no idea but I just want you to know I like reading your reviews.

Cheri

Courtney

__Morgana__

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California