This was the last thing I drank last night and I was trying to get the taste out of my mouth with a minty flavored chewing gum right before I went to bed. Surprisingly, as I lay awake (too much caffeine I suppose) in bed, I could still taste the caramel THROUGH the mint flavor. And it was much sweeter. This gave me an idea.

This morning I am starting off with a cup of this before I ramp up to black temperature, with 1 tsp of tea and 1/16 tsp of peppermint leaves in the filter steeped at 45 seconds.

Bitterness solved! And that amount of peppermint doesn’t deliver much minty taste, certainly not as much as the gum did.

But there’s still something about the caramel that isn’t sitting well. Or maybe it’s the caramel/apple combo. The apple is very green and when I think of caramel apples I think of red apples. Bumping it down a bit for not improving significantly with the removal of the bitterness. I might continue to experiment with it. Might use spearmint instead of peppermint, that sort of thing. There’s not much sample left (fortunately) but with what’s left, I might as well look at it as a sort of science project…

Cofftea

Re: “The apple is very green and when I think of caramel apples I think of red apples”- I love green apples and I find that the tartness works well w/ the (sometimes) over sweetness of the caramel (I use caramel dip, not hard caramel on the apple itself)… I was hoping this would be like those green sour caramel apple suckers- MASSIVE disappointment and fataliTEA. Den’s Tea as an AMAZING apple sencha- I think I’m gonna find a green based caramel tea and blend the 2.

Comments

Cofftea

95-100 A once in a lifetime experience; the best there is

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; will likely buy more

70-79 Very good; would enjoy again, might buy again

60-69 Good; wouldn’t pass up if offered, but likely won’t buy again

Below 60 Meh, so-so, iffy, or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California