This was one of the other samples I got with the earliest green tea. I’d wanted to try a version of this ever since I read about it, as I found the descriptions in books of how it smells and tastes fascinating.

I’m hesitant to rate it yet because I have some other Lapsang samples and this is my first experience of one. But it’s pretty awesome stuff.

The dry leaves give off a whiff of charcoal when the package opens. They’re very, very dark — a dark chocolate color, almost black. The liquor is a deep, brandy-like color that makes you want to put on a smoking jacket and light up a cigar.

The aroma is deep and woody and rich. It’s like cooking on a campfire: smoky, piney, almost bacony. The taste is very much like the aroma. There is a smoky, spicy sweetness to it that makes you want to wrap yourself in a blanket in front of a fireplace in a ski lodge somewhere, staring into the flames and becoming hypnotized by them while you sip on this.

I think I’m joining the smoky fan club.

SoccerMom

Loved your description it made me smile especially this part>. I’ve never actually thought about wanting to " to put on a smoking jacket and light up a cigar."

~lauren.

I’m one of the latest (and most inexperienced) member of the smoky fan club, too!

Angrboda

I do believe we have a convert here…
Smoky Fan Club? I like it!

__Morgana__

It’s so funny, the smoking jacket was actually the second image that came to mind. It was so much easier to describe quickly than the first, which involved heavy, wooden furniture with red-leather upholstered chairs and paintings of waterfowl in flight on the walls. Lol.

Doulton

I, too, am a Smoky Fan. Morgana, your descriptions sounds like the quintessential English gentleman’s club—were there no smoky clubs for the women? At least Angrboda has founded one here!

SoccerMom

Doulton you put it so eloquently when all I could think of was Hugh Hefner!

__Morgana__

Hah! I wasn’t thinking of Hugh. ;-)

Comments

SoccerMom

~lauren.

Angrboda

I do believe we have a convert here…
Smoky Fan Club? I like it!

Doulton

SoccerMom

Doulton you put it so eloquently when all I could think of was Hugh Hefner!

__Morgana__

Hah! I wasn’t thinking of Hugh. ;-)

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California