G’day mate. ;-)

I am a babe in the mate woods. The only ones I’ve tried are this and the Tazo lemon. I have no idea what mate tastes like on its own, but my experience of these two drinks leads me to believe that the analogy mate-is-to-tea as chicory root-is-to-coffee may be apt. Or veggie burger-is-to-hamburger. If this is the case, I expect I am not destined to become a mate drinker. I am too much of a purist, and I tend to fixate on the thought that I’m drinking something that is ersatz something else, rather than something to be appreciated in its own right. This won’t keep me from trying mates, but it may keep me from cultivating a taste for them.

In any case, this one also has lemon myrtle, which is my bane. The Tazo has lemongrass, which I find more pleasing as a lemon flavoring. That said, this has a certain smoothness that feels creamy in the mouth and the green tea adds some “green” flavor as well. I have had this one several times and though it isn’t bad, I don’t expect it to grow on me.

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California