drank Lemon Mate by Tazo

I don’t feel too badly about not loving Yerba Mate after reading at the Mayo Clinic site that some studies have shown it increases the risk of certain types of cancer, particularly for smokers, if drunk in large quantities over long periods of time. I don’t smoke (and haven’t for years) but if I’m going to be drinking something tea-like, I’d much rather drink something that’s believed to inhibit cancer, like green tea.

I like this one better than the Mate Lemon by Numi. It’s better without the imposition of a green tea flavor in the middle of the lemon/mate mix that the Numi has. The Tazo has ginger in it, but it doesn’t affect the taste as much as it does in the Green Ginger tea. It has a smooth mouth feel, and a lemony/herby flavor to it that is ok, but just ok.

I’ll finish what I have of it, but it’s not something I like well enough to replace when I’m done.

SoccerMom

You know have me worried about my Mate addiction. :I

__Morgana__

Sorry :-( I’m betting there are studies that say the opposite. Seems like there always are. I am trying to give up drinking 10+ 20oz diet cokes a day because of the aspartame!

AmazonV

i think there are a whole bunch of studies touting the health benefits of mate….like anything else there is always studies one way and the other

Ewa

The actually amount that “large quantities over long periods of time” in these sorts of studies translates to is usually pretty ridiculous, so I wouldn’t worry. Besides which, most things are harmful in excessive quantities in SOME way, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Comments

SoccerMom

You know have me worried about my Mate addiction. :I

__Morgana__

AmazonV

Ewa

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California