Number two in the tale of three vanillas. I discussed its various merits in an earlier note. The purpose of this one is to compare this as a vanilla flavored tea with number one in the series, Black Orchid by Mariage Freres.

It’s fascinating to me how two teas with similar flavor profiles can taste so different, and each be so enjoyable in its own way. Where Black Orchid was symbiosis between the tea flavor and the vanilla flavor, this one seems to have a stronger tea presence in the beginning of the sip, follows by the vanilla, which lingers in the finish. There’s also an odd, almost green note in this one which I didn’t notice before but do in comparison to the Black Orchid. It’s odd that it’s present in this tea, but not an odd flavor. It’s rather refreshing.

Both experiences are pleasurable and lovely in their own way. This tea seems to have less depth than the Black Orchid, but that’s not such a bad thing depending on what you’re in the mood for — stew, or salad.

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California