I was thinking that the leaves looked a lot different from most oolongs I’ve had and then I read on the description here that this is a mix of oolong, black and green tea. Holy infusion temperature/steeping time confusion, Batman! Out of an abundance of caution I’m going to start with an infusion on the short side.

There’s a shortcakey smell to the dry leaves which must be the “hints of berry jam.” The other scent I’m getting is more spice than floral. Let’s see how it steeps up.

Tawny color, with hues of orange from the black tea and green from the green tea and yellow from the oolong. It smells like berries!

The taste is interesting. It’s got a thicker mouthfeel than I expected, with a moderate amount of astringency. The black tea is pretty prominent in the taste, but I can parse out the oolong as well. It adds a dab of butter, and is no doubt responsible for the softness. The green. Hmm. Yeah, I do think I can detect that too. It’s a fresh, higher note. The berry hops around a bit. It’s not a strong, uniform flavor, but it does pop up in the aftertaste like a little starburst of sweet fruit. The tea didn’t change much through three infusions and the berry flavor was present throughout.

It’s unusual and I appreciate its ambition. I enjoyed drinking it. It isn’t immediately grabbing me by the collar and shouting that I must order it, but it isn’t outside of the realm of possibility. I just want to shop around a bit first, maybe try that raspberry oolong Angrboda likes so much and some others before I commit.

~lauren.

Okay – i’m loving this sentence right here: “Holy infusion temperature/steeping time confusion, Batman!” – you are so going to have to trademark it or register it or copyright it or something – it’s that good! LOL!

__Morgana__

Haha. If only DC Comics would let me trademark it, but alas, I fear they would not. ;-)

~lauren.

All right, never mind then, boo on DC comics, but I always enjoy reading your posts – they sometimes make me smile and/or laugh! Most times, I’m glad I’m not in the middle of a swallow of tea at the time I read one of your whimsical/funny sentences!

Awww, thanks!

Ricky

Batman!

Did someone mention some unmentionable tea!?!?

Lori

Love the Batman sentence…this tea sounds like a hot, confused mess…

Comments

~lauren.

Awww, thanks!

Ricky

Batman!

Did someone mention some unmentionable tea!?!?

Lori

Love the Batman sentence…this tea sounds like a hot, confused mess…

95-100 A once in a lifetime experience; the best there is

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; will likely buy more

70-79 Very good; would enjoy again, might buy again

60-69 Good; wouldn’t pass up if offered, but likely won’t buy again

Below 60 Meh, so-so, iffy, or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California