drank Pu-erh by Golden Moon Tea

Golden Moon sample No. 22 of 31. Fate determined Friday would be pu-erh day!

The package says it contains aged Chinese tea from the last century. Which sounds really special and exotic until you consider the last century only ended about 10 years ago. ;-P Still, 10 years is probably older than most tea I’ve tried except for the Celestial Seasonings mystery tea bags I found in the back of the pantry from years and years ago. So this should be interesting.

This is my first non-Samovar loose pu-erh, and I now know that all pu-erh leaves are not tiny and cute. These are fairly big, and chunky. They look like fragments of brown tree bark. They have a mellow, chocolate earth smell.

The tea’s aroma is really yummy, though it doesn’t have the smell I associated with pu- erhs. There’s not even a small amount of leather in this one. It smells sweet and (to me anyway) chocolatey. Like the middle-to-high chocolate notes in fresh baked brownies (just not the dark fudgy ones). The color is medium to dark brown, not as dark as the Palace Pu-erh, not as light as most black teas.

Wow, very tasty. Interestingly, it’s not like the other pu-erhs I’ve had. I really don’t get a lot of earthiness. It’s more like a very dense and flavorful black tea, smooth, sweet, some malt, and a character that verges on chewy and biscuity. Its not so much a taste as it is a connection, but I feel a strong cocoa association, maybe a little of the mocha-java as well.

I’m liking this one quite a bit. Some day when my experience has increased sufficiently I’ll have to get more scientific about my pu erh ratings. For now, I’m giving this a mark commensurate with my enjoyment from this tasting.

malomorgen

i just ordered those samples today :D

__Morgana__

Great, you’re going to have so much fun with them! I’ll be sad when mine are gone.

Jim Marks

It sounds like it might be a sheng instead of a shou.

__Morgana__

Could be. Doesn’t identify itself.

Rabs

ROFL!!!!!

__Morgana__

@Rabs, hahaha, true story. Plus I found the nursing tea I got when I had my first baby in 2004, which wasn’t all that delicious to begin with. Out it went. BTW, big shoutout to Pam Caldwell and Herblore if you ever find yourself needing help to lactate enough to keep up with demand! Fenugreek FTW!

Ricky

Pu-erh friday! I haven’t done that in a while. I still have a few pu-erh samplers from Bana Tea Company left to finish.

Comments

malomorgen

i just ordered those samples today :D

Jim Marks

It sounds like it might be a sheng instead of a shou.

__Morgana__

Could be. Doesn’t identify itself.

Rabs

ROFL!!!!!

Ricky

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California