I wasn’t intending to write about this one yet since I tried it for the first time this morning during a rush to get the kids ready for swimming lessons, but I had to change my mind because of the comments coming from the breakfast table after I poured the water over the mixture.

Picture the mixture (there’s a photo at the top of the page of the black tea leaves, white coconut strips, chocolate chips). In the packet it has a v. strong scent of “lime,” a really acrid smell that borders on chlorine, with some not sweet chocolate underneath and some sweetness that may be the coconut in the corner. It’s on the kitchen counter having just had water poured over it.

Now picture the scene. Two boys, ages 4 and almost 6, eating microwave French toast from Trader Joe’s and drinking orange juice, and the boyfriend about to sit down with them while I am puttering making my own breakfast.

Boyfriend: “What’s that smell?”

Me: “Tea.”

Boyfriend walks over to cup and sniffs. “Caramel?”

Me: “No. Lime, chocolate and coconut.”

Boyfriend: “Ahhhh. It’s the coconut.” He starts to sing: “Put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up, put the lime in the coconut and call me in the morning. Wasn’t that Harry Nilsson, the same guy who did The Point?” He sits down.

Boyfriend: “God, that smells awful.”

6 Year old: “I can smell it from here. I don’t like it.”

Me: “Really? I don’t think it’s so bad.”

4 Year old (Mama’s boy, bless him): “I don’t think it’s so bad either.”

Boyfriend: “Who thinks it smells bad, raise your hand.” Raises hand. 6 year old raises hand.

I take a sip. It’s identifiably lime, coconut, and chocolate, but mostly the acrid lime that tastes a lot like it smells and is throwing the mixture off kilter. I put some milk in it and try again. Slightly better, still way too heavy on the lime. I look at the packet. Chocolate Coconut Lime. I am wondering why it isn’t called Lime Chocolate Coconut?

Me: “It doesn’t taste that good.”

4 year old: “Can I taste it?”

Me: “No.”

4 year old: “Is it tea?”

Me: Pause. Is it tea? Answer. “Yes.”

Sort of.

malomorgen

love the story :)

Doulton

Great scenario—too bad the tea was disappointing. I cannot really think of a flavor with which lime could be mixed successfully aside from another citrus…but maybe I am a lime purist.

Jillian

LOL, you don’t want to put the littles off tea at such a young age. ;)

__Morgana__

It sounded like it would work, and it might have if the lime hadn’t been so strong. The coconut really could have balanced it, I think. Denouement: I walked back into the house after the swimming class and a birthday party the four year old attended and I can still smell this, but it smells better. I think the volatile oils in the lime must have evaporated, there’s more of a coconut smell now. Too bad it wasn’t that way when I first made it.

Ewa

I’m with you on the Lime, Doulton. It’s such a distinctive, weird taste. It belongs with other citrus and gin. Note: Everything that I just wrote is invalidated by the fact that I drink Diet Coke with Lime of my own volition.

Lime is good with Coronas…and not a heck of a lot else IMO. :D

Rabs

LOL! That was an absolutely wonderful note! :D

Comments

malomorgen

love the story :)

Doulton

Jillian

LOL, you don’t want to put the littles off tea at such a young age. ;)

__Morgana__

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California