I had matcha!

I think.

Now I have anxiety. ;-)

I finally have all my implements (except the sifter), so I decided to give it a try. But since I’ve never had it before, and have never even seen it before in real life, I have no idea whether I did it right. I tried to follow instructions but I have to confess I sort of winged it. I just added water until it was about half way up the chawan.

I was amazed at what it looked like. It was the color of the felt on a pool table or maybe a little darker; I thought it would be lighter colored? I didn’t get froth. Was I supposed to get froth? Like meringue froth, the kind that peaks and stands up? (Sort of doubt it, I didn’t get that kind anyway. More like a few bubbles around the edges. But I wouldn’t really call it froth so maybe I did it wrong?)

It was really delicious. Very sweet and green and tasty, but I wish I knew whether I’d done it justice.

How long am I supposed to whisk for? It was very smooth, not at all clumpy. I barely knew I’d whisked when I drank it, it tasted much like drinking steeped tea. (I have a feeling I made the thin kind.)

That does it, I have to go try again now.

Cofftea

LOL! Yes. You had matcha. Don’t be anxious.:) I have this sifter and love it. http://www.lupiciausa.com/product_p/41401682.htm

Cheap and very effective. I use a metal teaspoon measuring spoon to get the matcha thru. My chawan is even the perfect diameter- the little loop thing rests on one side of the edge and the handle on the other suspending the basket over the chawan.

Matcha should be dark. I don’t call it “GREEN!!!” for nothing hehe:) You will never get hard peak foam no matter how hard you try lol. The one time I had it made for me it was much like beer foam that didn’t collapse when my lips touched it, but myself I just get tiny bubble bath like foam over the top. Sometimes just around the edges. Sometimes over most of the service. Different matchas foam differently, thickness is a factor as well. Although Koicha isn’t supposed to foam that much and I’ve had a few very foamy Koicha experiences.

You only need to whisk till the matcha is evenly mixed w/ the water. If you sip it and it’s too chalky/chunky, whisk again. Sifting also helps this. I advise not rushing your matcha experience. If you make an amount and drink and a speed that causes your matcha to start to separate, simply just give it a quick whisk and resume the experience.

__Morgana__

Thanks for the tips, I need them!

Cofftea

Any time! Always more than happy to help people get over their matcha phobias/concerns:)

Comments

Cofftea

__Morgana__

Thanks for the tips, I need them!

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California