The next chapter in the perfect lemon search.

As you can see from the photo, this tisane is very… geometric. Pretty much every ingredient in it is rectangular, of varying lengths, widths and colors. It doesn’t have a lot of fragrance on its own, and even if it did I wouldn’t be able to tell what it is as I put it in the same tin I’d used for The Tea Table’s Lemon Mango, and I neglected to do a de-scenting so that’s pretty much all I can smell now. (Nice smell though, I liked that one.)

It makes a dark yellow liquor, almost the color of apple juice. It smells promising: there is a sweet smell to it, and there’s definitely lemon.

Hmm. Hmmmmmm.

Wow. I had really expected to be disappointed by this one. Despite its attractive geometry, I expected it to taste a lot like the Luscious Lemon from Simpson & Vail. And failing that I just didn’t expect to like it. It has lemon myrtle in it after all.

But the lemon myrtle is playing nice here. It must be the influence of the vanilla. It’s neither tart nor bitter, so it doesn’t require doctoring. Except it might be better brewed a little stronger. I used 2.5g for a standard size mug.

It does have a green, grassy, herbally quality in addition to the lemon. It’s more reminiscent of a lemon plant than a lemon fruit, which is the one downside as lemon fruit appropriately de-soured is what I’d like to be reminded of.

It’s not as high on the rotation list as the Harney & Sons or the Teavana, but I think now that I’ve tried this I’m no longer motivated to try to get the Simpson & Vail to work. That had a stronger lemon flavor, but also a tart and bitter edge that needed working out to be rotation worthy.

This, on the other hand, needs some time testing and a little bit of thought.

S

Did you see 52teas’ new Lemon Drop Cooler? Sounds like it’d be right up your alley :)

Rabs

LOL! I was getting ready to mention 52teas as well — ya beat me to it :D

__Morgana__

Nope, not yet. I was hoping to find something without rooibos in it. Also, from the description it sounded like it might be too tart for me. It started with “pucker up” while I’m more of a sweet lemon fan. Doesn’t mean I won’t end up trying it eventually though. ;-)

__Morgana__

Ummm. Ok, it’s not rooibos, I looked at it again. It’s honeybush. Hmmm. Now maybe I’ll have to cave. Lol.

Jillian

Honeybush is a lot nicer than rooibos IMO, and you can sweeten it up nicely with sugar or honey too.

Comments

S

Rabs

LOL! I was getting ready to mention 52teas as well — ya beat me to it :D

Jillian

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California