drank English Caramel by Lupicia

I got this in a pyramid bag as a sample with my Lupicia order and I brought it to work, on the theory that I might actually get to have some decent tea this way before I figure out how best to support a loose leaf habit at work.

This is the first time I’ve tasted anything by Lupicia, and I’m going to try to keep an open mind in case this is disappointing, given the lack of control over water quality and temperature at work.

The bag smells terrific. Very caramelly, not bitter despite its description. The tea smells toasty, but caramel is the main scent.

My steeping here is going to be full of unknowns because I don’t have a thermometer to measure water temperature with me, but here goes.

I steeped for approximately 4 minutes (I think), maybe more like 3. The aroma is mostly of caramel, and it isn’t bitter smelling at all.

My sense is that the water I used wasn’t good quality and hot enough to bring out the true flavor of this tea. It’s ok. I can taste caramel, and it’s not bitter. It’s not sweet either as best I can tell, but mostly the flavor isn’t very strong at all. I can taste the tea in the aftertaste, and it’s smooth and sweet. I just wish there was more of it. A lot more.

I wish I had more of this so I could give it another shot under more controlled conditions. Then again, these days I’m mostly drinking tea bags at work, so these conditions are more representative for how a bagged tea would taste to me than controlled ones at home would be.

Kristin

That is almost exactly how I felt about Golden Moon Caramel Oolong – smelled great in the bag… not so caramelly in the mug, and then not enough tea to try again under other circumstances. You need at least 2 cups worth in a sample to give it a fair shake.

Doulton

Do you ever get the feeling that some of the pyramid bags (and other bags) just do not have enough dry leaf in them? Sometimes when I am using a bag of whatever quality I feel that I can use only 2 or 4 ounces of water maximum.

__Morgana__

That may have been part of the problem, though I wasn’t using a very large mug and I didn’t fill it the entire way. I did notice that these bags seemed to have less in them than the Tazo full leaf sachets that are made out of a similar material.

Auggy

Lupicia teabags typically weigh around 3g (yeah, I weight them (curiosity requires me to)… I know, I’m a nerd.) Anyway, they tend to be better than a lot of other companies weight-wise but I still think they suggest something like a 6oz cup.

AmazonV

i tend to 6 oz per bag unless i know they’re better (tazo full leaf 12 oz easy)

Comments

Kristin

Doulton

__Morgana__

Auggy

AmazonV

i tend to 6 oz per bag unless i know they’re better (tazo full leaf 12 oz easy)

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California