drank Masala Chai II by TeaFrog

When I see names like “Masala Chai II” I always wonder what happened to Masala Chai I. Masala Chai is dead, long live Masala Chai? Just to be sure I double checked the TeaFrog site and couldn’t find Masala Chai I.

TeaFrog gives nice big samples. This one is big enough to make a couple of cups worth on the stovetop. Using TeaFrog Assam Banaspaty as the extra black tea since the mix contains Assam to begin with.

In the packet I smell mostly cinnamon, and then coriander, and then an anise/fennel licorice scent. In addition to cinnamon, cardamom and pepper, this has some pretty interesting ingredients that haven’t been in other chais I’ve tried. I also noticed that ginger isn’t listed, and I think it’s been in all the other chais I’ve had thus far.

True to its description, this is a mellow chai. The cardamom, cinnamon and coriander seem to me to be acting as an ensemble rather than calling attention to themselves individually, which is, I think, a good thing. There’s an interesting, cooling feeling on the tongue after sipping. I’m wondering if this is the anise or fennel? Other than that effect, the anise and fennel is detectable but extremely gentle. There’s no strong licorice flavor, which in my view is a good thing. I’m not tasting the pepper. There’s no kick at the end.

I can’t comment on the authenticity having never been to India. This is a tasty chai, but I think I prefer a little more spice, even in my mellower chais. Though I didn’t taste them back to back, this seems to me less spicy than the TeaGschwendner Indian Chai which was pretty far down on the spicy continuum already.

Boiling 8 min or more
Cofftea

anise/fennel/licorice… uh oh… If my (one) experience w/ “authentic” chai (via an Indian restaurant run by an Indian family)… this is probably better than the “real” thing.

Masala Chai II: Electric Boogaloo

__Morgana__

Son of Masala Chai? Return of Masala Chai? Beneath Masala Chai? Masala Chai, the squeakquel?

Rabs

All of those made me smile, and then I hit “Masala Chai, the squeakquel” and just died XD

LiberTEAS

How about Masala Chai the Teaquel :)

Masala Chai and the Teapot of Secrets

the TEAquel!!! HAHAHA!!!

Cofftea

@Rabs- I just saw the word “boogaloo” online for the 2nd time in 2 hrs! haha!

“Boogaloo” and “Teaquel” have made my night :D

TeaFrog

ooooboy ;) It is actually the second attempt at our Chai – thus Masala Chai II – however my favorite is Masala Chai the Teaquel – good one Anne ;)

Comments

Cofftea

Masala Chai II: Electric Boogaloo

__Morgana__

LiberTEAS

How about Masala Chai the Teaquel :)

Masala Chai and the Teapot of Secrets

the TEAquel!!! HAHAHA!!!

Cofftea

@Rabs- I just saw the word “boogaloo” online for the 2nd time in 2 hrs! haha!

“Boogaloo” and “Teaquel” have made my night :D

TeaFrog

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California