I feel the need for some smoky tea.

It’s weird, it’s kind of like wanting a cigarette, though I can’t imagine that now after having quit about 14 years ago. I wonder if there’s nicotine in lapsang souchong. ;-) Golly, I hope not. It’s scary, because breathing in the smell of the dry leaves in the sample packet is rather like taking a long drag. It’s calming. They’re very smoky. A little salted meat smelling as well. I feel like I could tap my cheek and watch a chain of tiny O’s float skyward after inhaling this.

After steeping, the aroma is significantly calmer. Much less like smoked meat, or even smoked wood. There’s a piney, woody smell that is mellower than pure smoke. The color of the liquor is somewhat lighter than I expected. A light to medium amber.

The tea is gently smoky, not intense or tarry. It’s been a while since I had the GM lapsang, but this is similar in feel and character to the way I recall the GM lapsang being. It’s pleasantly sweet at the finish and in the aftertaste as well. There are woody, piney tastes and something bread like at the end of the sip.

Maybe it’s just the mood I’m in today, maybe it’s just been a long time since I had lapsang and was craving it, but I’m loving this right now. It’s really hitting the spot.

Cofftea

Nah I just think it’s the similar flavor. I can see where this tea could be a stumbling block for ex smokers lol.

Rabs

Congrats on being an ex-smoker for such a long time! ::high five::

As an ex-smoker myself, the only way I was able to quit (almost a year now) was using the scary Chantix. I had a great Dr. who had perscribes it regularly and of all the scary side effects listed she said that the only consistent and common was nausea. I can confirm that. I couldn’t even finish the starter pill set. And you know how they say that you can smoke the first week of being on it? I made it 4 days before I wanted to throw up (nearly did on my final one). The thought of cigarettes turns my stomach still to this day.

All that’s to say that I have absolutely no problem with smoky teas. :)

Cofftea

Campfire is very different from cigarettes. I LOVE the smell of campfire (not so much the taste in tea though), but puke at the smell of cigarettes.

Comments

Cofftea

Rabs

Congrats on being an ex-smoker for such a long time! ::high five::

All that’s to say that I have absolutely no problem with smoky teas. :)

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California