drank Cucumber White by Tazo

Looking back on what I wrote about this tea, I’m constrained to dock it some points. I’d originally given it a 63. Lately I’ve been drinking it a lot more, as I’m now down to just a few of my original “starter tea” tea bag boxes.

One of the problems I’m having is that I really did not like Om, which was another Tazo mixed tea blend with cucumber flavor. I drank a lot of Om trying to get through my stash at both work and home, and it never got any better tasting, in fact it got worse and worse.

Om may have ruined cucumber flavor in tea for me, or perhaps just cucumber flavor in Tazo tea. Though this one doesn’t have the same ingredients as Om, its cucumber flavor is close enough to the same that my sense memory is superimposing a spiciness on the cucumber that gives me that same pickle feel as I had with Om. Pickles being, well, pickled, that flavor undercuts the feeling of freshness I had the first few times I had this. In a big way.

Also, I had forgotten that Cucumber White, as this is actually named, also has black darjeeling in it, which makes it one of those “what temp do I use, and for how long” conundrums that I’d rather skip and just get to the drinking.

As I’m sitting with these white Tazos for longer, the Vanilla Apricot is emerging as a frontrunner, and the Berryblossom is growing on me. The cucumber, sadly, has fallen from favor.

sophistre

Taste associations can be so frustrating. I had to get over a mental hump similar to that in order to try to get comfortable with pu’erh…it took a while, and still isn’t effortless!

As far as the no-thinking-involved temp goes, I’d go with 175 and then play with the time. Some darjeelings I’ve had have seen some benefit from the lower temp in terms of cutting back the sharpness of the muscat, and the white wants to be brewed at that temp, anyway.

Cofftea

UGH! Why must they ruin it w/ black tea? I have yet to find this one. Based on both Adagio’s white cucumber and 52teas (now sold out) cucumber melon) I suggest trying it iced. I prefer both of them that way.

__Morgana__

Yeah, I go with 175 when I’m at home. At work, I just wing it. 175 doesn’t really bring out the darjeeling with this one as far as I can tell. I had totally forgotten it was even in there until I found myself gazing at the ingredients label this morning!

Comments

sophistre

Cofftea

__Morgana__

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California