To be honest I have no idea as to temperature (it was v. hot) or steeping time because I got this at the local frozen yogurt joint after going out to dinner with the fam and another fam tonight. The really really really young guy at the counter insisted I should steep this for “another 3-5 minutes” after he handed it to me. Bah, say I. I pretty much yanked the bag out right then and there. I hadn’t seen a Mightly Leaf bag before and it was one of those pretty gauzy stitched up things like the Kusmi ones but since I only saw this one wet, it might not have been as elegant. Chances are it wasn’t, Kusmi being French and all.

Anyway, really not used to drinking green tea in water so hot it sears the epidermal layer right off my tongue, but that’s what I found myself with. I took the top off the cup to let the steam escape all the faster, but I was still nursing the thing when it was time to leave. It was preternaturally hot water, and it took a helluva long time to cool to drinkable temperature by which time everyone was done with their yogurt and ready to leave.

I will say, for a drink in too hot water in a paper cup, it did have quite a bit of flavor. A strong but somehow also gentle jasmine, less in your face than the Numi bagged jasmine, but very flavorful. The tea was fresh tasting and mild.

For rating, I’m going with slightly better than the Numi, but not quite as good as the Golden Moon.

LiberTEAS

Having tried both of these teas “bagged” – the Kusmi tea uses a muslin-ish type of material for their tea bags, while Mighty Leaf uses a silkier type of fabric, similar to that you’d find on the pyramid sachets.

ashmanra

I had a white tea at Barnes and Noble and I think the water had been boiled using a nuclear reactor. The delicate white tea was SEARED and you couldn’t even taste the flavors after burning your tongue, plus…mostly it just tasted like paper cup! I wonder what would happen if I went all “Sheldon” (Big Bang) on them and took my own cup and asked them to just give me the water and the bag and let me brew it myself!

Rabs

ashmanra: you can actually do that without a problem. Furthermore, most B&N Cafes will give you 10 cents off for bringing your own cup – at least as of a little over a year ago they would do the discount. If your barista isn’t sure how to do the tea bag since they’re all loose in the cannister, then you could suggest putting the bag into a sample cup. :)

Comments

LiberTEAS

ashmanra

Rabs

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California