drank Haute Chocolate by Teavana

I went through an ordering phase not long ago where I stuck anything that had the word chocolate in it in my shopping basket any time I bought anything from anyplace. Ok, maybe that’s a tiny exaggeration, but it was certainly true of online tea shopping. I was kidnapped by the chocolate tea nymphs and made to do all sorts of unimaginable things.

That explains why I voluntarily ordered rooibos from Teavana.

The mixture is kind of funky. I found what looked like about half of a stick of cinnamon in among the pumpkin-seed looking green cardamom, almost purple colored flakes that must be the chocolate, red rooibos, something that looked like chocolate chips (carob?), and assorted other hunks ’o stuff.

The tea looks a lot like apple cider, the kind that’s opaque. Oddly it doesn’t smell very chocolatey. There’s some chocolate right at the beginning, then a lull of almost no aroma, then the spiciness at the end, with a black pepper exclamation point.

The flavor is pretty much the same. It’s surprisingly vacant right in the middle, with flavor at the beginning and the end of the sip. I wonder whether, like other Teavana blends, I should increase the mixture/water ratio?

Better yet, I think I should make this on the stovetop with milk and sweetener and see how it comes out. It does have a lot of similarity with a chocolate chai, without the caffeine.

Further experimentation will be necessary. Though I’m not getting a lot of rooibos thanks to the spiciness of the blend, this would not be a top choice for me among tisanes just drinking it straight up.

Kristin

Thanks for saving me from this one! :) You should try Choco*Late from American Tea Room. I LOVE it.

ashmanra

Has you tried Chocolate Tea from Harney and Sons? I am on the fence about ordering it. I don’t NEED it but I might…you know….need it.

Rabs

Those fargin’ chocolate tea nymphs! ::shakes fist in air::

sophistre

The H&S tea isn’t bad, I’ve had it, but it’s very subtle — like most of H&S’s teas. High quality, and a very balanced blend.

For splurging and feeling like I’m actually sipping something with chocolate in it (because I am), I really like Chocolate Delight from Tea Guys. If you brew it like a chai on the stovetop (boil it in water and then in milk), it’s fannnnntastic. Sweeten it with a wedge of Scharffen Berger and you could be forgiven for thinking it was actually hot chocolate.

Ooooh, decadent!

Jamie

Omg I need chocolate! Hmm I have Chocomate and Chocolate Mint rooibos – opposite ends of the caffeine chain but they’re both equally divine. (my two cents).

__Morgana__

Will try all these chocolate marvels I haven’t yet had the pleasure to try. Eventually. I am having anxiety dreams where I find myself sinking in a quicksand of tea containers!

Comments

Kristin

Rabs

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California