Surprised I’m the first to write a note about this one as well. (I see I’m coming up on 400 notes. Wow. It’s a long weekend ahead, wonder if I can get there by the end of Monday? Any bets?) I really need to get to my Maeda-en Sincha notes as I’m feeling guilty about being granted free tea on the promise I’d write a three part note and haven’t done it yet. (Hanging head in shame.) I just haven’t been in a green tea mood that much and I didn’t want to force it. I figured forcing it would make me harsher in my opinions.

This is the first time I’ve knowingly had anything with Kenyan tea in it, so that will be interesting. You may wonder what business I have drinking black tea this late in the afternoon, but I have to clear the cobwebs. The entire household took a nap, something rather unprecedented these days. The 6 year old is still sleeping, which is astounding. He was bribed with the promise that he could play Wii tonight if he took a nap, which he needed as he was up a good bit of the night crying with growing pains.

When I first took a whiff out of the sample packet, I thought, “that’s interesting, there’s nothing in here that looks like flowers.” There’s a sweet, floral smell to the blend. Then I read the description again. Ah! It’s the honey! Yes, it’s got that polleny, flowery, sweet honey smell. Underneath that is the earthiness of Assam.

The liquor is a lovely color, which I am seeing frequently in Ceylons. I’m going with the theory that it’s the Ceylon giving this its reddish orangy color. Still looking for a sweater this color. It’s not quite as red as some others, but still very pretty. There’s a gentle, honey aroma.

And basically, that’s what this tastes like as well. Gentle, smooth, honeyed. It’s medium to light bodied, and somewhat brisk, a really nice perker upper after a weekend nap. I wish I could unravel the flavors to say what the Kenyan tastes like, but I can’t. The black tea blend is pretty seamless.

Nice.