Steeping this at the time and temp shown in the Harney note.

I’m on a mission to try all my Harney samples so I can place an order for the ones that make the cut. This is the last black tea sample I have from my two orderings. I also have a white, and some greens including the green sampler set, and the oolong sampler set.

The problem so far is that most of them, except for the tisanes, are making the cut. Which means I’m likely to end up with more tea than one can possibly drink in a lifetime (and I already think I have more than that). Especially since I like two decafs and they seem only to come in teabags or 1 pound loose leaf. What’s up with that? Suggestion box entry: 4 oz tins of the loose decaf blacks please.

Anyway, black teas and oolongs are apparently my weaknesses, so I’m hoping that I’ll be able to put the breaks on after this one and the oolong sampler.

I enjoyed reading the description of this in the H&S note here on Steepster. Very interesting story. The dry leaves are quite pretty. Very delicate and spidery looking. I do get a cocoa note from the smell of the dry leaves, but mostly I get a fruity smell. Yeah, it could be apricot. I don’t think I’m being overly suggestible here.

The tea is a really gorgeous color. It is a sunset red/orange when seen through a glass cup. The tea’s aroma is very honeyed, very fruity.

It has a bite to it. It’s grabbing me in the back of the throat a bit, not a sensation I’m ever overly excited by. Which is odd, because it otherwise gives the impression of being quite smooth. It has a very “tea” flavor, by which I mean (and I know this is going to sound bad though I don’t at all mean it that way) it tastes like Nestea smells, that superconcentrated slightly sweet quintessential (for an American) black tea essence. Now that I think about it, there is something very apricotty about that smell, and that’s what I taste here. I’m not getting a ton of cocoa, but that could be because I got distracted playing a game with the kids and this was a little cooler than it perhaps should have been when I tasted it. I do get some in the aftertaste, which is very nice. I have enough in the sample packet to try again and drink it a bit hotter.

I’m torn on this one as I really dig the flavor, but I don’t dig the bite. Rating it on the low end of excellent for now and will see how the next steep plays out.

ashmanra

Go on facebook and make the suggestion to Harney and Sons. You might be surprised. I asked for Florence in an 7 ounce and got it. David Homa asked for a 50 count sachet bag of something and got it! Give it a try!

__Morgana__

Cool, sounds like something to try! (Can everyone get Florence in 7 oz now? I only saw it in 4 and pounds.)

ashmanra

Hmm, I just ordered a 7 oz and it is supposed to be here Wednesday. It was on the site last time I checked. Maybe I was the only person who ordered it?