drank Apricot by Adagio Teas

This is the first I’ve tasted from the Flavors sampler, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

I think this is the first apricot tea I’ve had. I’ve tasted teas that have apricot notes, but not from added flavoring. And apricot is a flavor I like quite a bit.

Not sure what the orange petals are, maybe they’re from apricot flowers? The tea smells strongly and richly fruity, rather like the fruitiness of apricot jam. It made me think of the filling of apricot hamentashen, though that usually doesn’t have an aroma this rich.

The liquor has a pretty Ceylon reddish color, though it’s not the most striking of the Ceylon colors I’ve seen. This tea was probably a good choice as an apricot base, as it contributes some fruity aromatic notes of its own, separate and apart from the apricot.

It has a thick-ish mouthfeel that along with the flavor, does make it seem a reasonable facsimile of an apricot pastry, tea-style.

It isn’t overly complex, but it’s more interesting than some flavored blacks I have tasted that are stuck in a single or at most a dual dimension. This one has more to it than that.

Will be interesting to see how it compares to other apricot blacks, like the ones from Harney & Sons and American Tea Room.

LiberTEAS

I don’t know for sure, since I’ve never seen this tea up close and personal, but, I would guess that the orange petals are osmanthus petals which carry a fragrance and slight flavor that is similar to apricots (and peaches).

They may also be calendula petals which add to the appearance but not the flavor of the tea.

Tammy

I have the Adagio site open and am deciding on my order right now—good timing! I think I will have to add the flavored samples now :)

Comments

LiberTEAS

Tammy

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California