This is part of the Harney & Sons green tea sampler. I am now seven teas away, including this one, from trying all my H&S samples.

Having had the plain sencha earlier today, I’m finding this one interesting. I understand the descriptor “high pitched.” It seems lighter than the regular sencha, though by no means weaker. If it was a sound, it would be higher on the scale is all.

Like the regular sencha, it has a lovely fresh, buttery smell in the sample tin. The leaves of this one are very fine, almost powdery (though not all of the leaves are this way, some longer ones stick out). I also understand the nut comparison. The buttery fragrance has a nutty quality to it, like the butteriness of the meat of a nut, with a slight bitterness (also nutlike in quality).

The flavor is very similar to the aroma. It’s a very tasty tea, without a very strongly vegetal flavor, but without grassiness either. I’m not really getting lemon, but that’s ok. I don’t need it.

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California