drank Lychee Black by Samovar

Second Samovar sample of the day. I’m now out of Samovar black tea samples to try until I come out of lockdown and can order again. It looks like there are only two that I haven’t tasted yet.

Does anyone else occasionally look at their tea log and go “wow, I can’t believe there are even that many teas in the world, let alone that I’ve tasted X number of them, let alone that I’ve written about Y number of them?” It’s a little mind boggling to me sometimes.

Wow, love the smell of the dry leaves. Floral. My first thought was lavender for some reason. Maybe my smeller is still off from being sick. It’s really rose.

The tea is a little too red to be called mahogany, but otherwise pretty close. And it has a sweet, fruity, floral aroma that is difficult to pin down. I’ve only had lychees in restaurants and I don’t really care for them as dessert offerings, but I like what their flavor does in this tea. It gives a sweetness to the tea that is a departure from the usual malty sweetness I get in Samovar black teas as it is lighter and fruitier. Nectar-like, really. There’s a slight nuttiness to it too, which is consistent with my experience of lychee in general.

This is one I’d like to drink next to some other rosy florals for comparison purposes. It seems to be a bit more subtle in its floral qualities than some others, which I like, and though I’m not an overly enthusiastic fan of the lychee by itself, at the risk of repeating myself, I will say I do like what it does in this tea.

Ewa

That is exactly what I think every time I look at TEB’s tea log! Truly she is an example to us all.

Ricky

Yep. Gotta try em all!

ashmanra

You have no idea how many times I have promised myself, " I will not buy more tea. Not for a long time." And then…something happens. A Harney special, a sale at Southern Season. I mean well! My hubby says I need an intervention…but I don’t want one! I looked over my list of teas in the house at present and couodn’t find a single one I wanted to get rid of! Even the ones I didn’t like as well, I keep thinking that maybe I should prepare it a little differently and then I will LOVE it!

Comments

Ewa

Ricky

Yep. Gotta try em all!

ashmanra

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California