drank Samovar by Kusmi Tea

It’s more than slightly smoky. But that’s a good thing.

The leaves have a lapsangy smell to them, but the aroma is milder. It isn’t tarry or resiny. It’s smoky but on the gentler side of smoky.

It’s a surprisingly chewy feeling tea. Pretty thick on the mouthfeel. A nice smokiness in the flavor, but also has a shining tea note coming through. Like a light at the bottom of a dark well. And some degree of sweetness, though not as much as some other smokies.

I’m liking the aftertaste. I was a little worried after reading Angrboda’s note that I’d taste ashtray, but fortunately I’m not experiencing ashtray here. The thickness of the mouthfeel translates into a coated feeling in the mouth, but not in a clingy way. It’s kind of interesting and not unpleasant. The aftertaste is surprising. I wouldn’t expect anything fresh about it, but somehow that’s what I get. Like the taste of cool air on an autumn night when fires are going in neighborhood fireplaces. And a little sweet burst at the end.

Smoky teas, like black teas in general, are another area I’m having a hard time narrowing down to a stable of staples. I haven’t yet met one I detested, which makes it hard. I think in general I tend to prefer the softer smokies rather than the straight lapsangs, though there are times when I can go for the resiny, tarry, pineyness as well.

I can’t rightly remember how this compares to other Russians, though I know it isn’t up there with the A&D Caravan. It’s probably about on a par with the H&S. I must try that again to see.

Angrboda

I’ve changed my mind about the ashes, actually. Or maybe I’ve learned to brew it better. Or maybe I’ve got used to it. Acquired taste and what not. At any rate, I don’t find the aftertaste as annoying as I did at first, although it’s still enough to make me not sure I’d get a replacement tin.

ashmanra

I’m getting ready to try H&S Russian Caravan, don’t know what to expect in terms of smokiness. For light smoky flavor I do like their Queen Catherine and Supreme Breakfast. If you want, I could send you some. I also like Wuyi Shan Lapsang, which is only lightly smoky.

__Morgana__

Aww, thanks for the offer. I already have some QC and SB though!

No problem!

Comments

Angrboda

__Morgana__

Aww, thanks for the offer. I already have some QC and SB though!

No problem!

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California