Having tasted the black savant, flavors, green savant and most of the herbal sampler (just lemongrass to go and I’m not in the mood for that just now), I’m moving along to the next set of Adagio samples. This is the first of the flavored oolongs.

I really love oolongs, but I don’t drink them as much these days as other things, mostly because they’re something of a production to drink with the multiple steeps, and I just haven’t felt relaxed enough lately to sit with a tea through four or more steeps.

This one has very twiggy coarse dark leaves with flecks of grapefruit peel among them. It smells like a tree scented with grapefruit.

The liquor is a light amber/yellow and it has a strong, toasty/fruity aroma though the fruity part isn’t necessarily grapefruit.

But in the flavor, there’s grapefruit and it’s… really nice? Surprising, in a way. I haven’t had a lot of success with most flavored oolongs I’ve tried. The oolong here is mostly the toasty/roasty background for a grapefruit flavor that sparkles along the top of the sip.

I’ll update and rate this after I’ve given it it’s due. I have to run off to dinner now. Trying a new Mexican place in the neighborhood.

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California