Revisiting this sample. This time I took it through four steeps, starting at two minutes and ending at 5. By the last it was starting to get a bit thin, but until then it held up pretty well. It seemed less grapefruity today, but was still enjoyable and refreshing.

I don’t find this a particularly complex oolong. It didn’t seem to evolve from steep to steep; it was pretty much the same in flavor from first to last. My experience of the tea base is of a fairly typical Formosa Oolong in flavor, at least superficially, but without the depth of some I’ve had. That said, the grapefruit flavor is really the reason to drink this as it goes very nicely with the base. The lack of complexity in the base is probably a plus in that respect.

The multiple steeps I put this through straddled my dinner, and the food brought out the grapefruit flavor a bit more.

I’m mildly surprised that I like this as much as I do. I’m adding it to the list for a restock when I finally come out of lockdown.

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California