Okay, I have no idea what I did differently this time (aside from maybe cooler water and taking care to introduce the water more slowly) but it’s so much better than in my last note. Creamy, beany, and sweet, with no harshness. I’m not paying really close attention to all the flavor nuances, but it’s very pleasant and comforting. Bravo, He family!

ETA: Might have gone a bit too long/hot on the second steep (2 min, 180F or so), because I got a taste of ash again. Currently on the third steep (2 min, 175F, 5-6 oz water) and it tastes predominantly of toasted rice – if I hadn’t made the tea myself, I would have thought I was drinking genmaicha. Very interesting, and tasty!

I grew up in New Jersey drinking Celestial Seasonings, and now I live in England, where I developed a taste for a good builder’s brew. Sometime in 2012 I bought my first loose teas, and my collection has since spiraled out of control. Still quite a novice, due to not drinking enough tea to keep pace with the amount I keep buying.

Some things I’m pretty sure I do like:
- most florals (jasmine, orange blossom, osmanthus, etc)
- buttery, vegetal greens
- malty blacks (usually with milk & sugar)
- oolongs that aren’t too heavily roasted

Not really feeling the flavored teas lately, for whatever reason.

All tasting notes use unfiltered hard tap water, unless otherwise specified.

No real method to my numerical ratings yet, but we’ll see what develops. So far I’ve only given ratings of 90 or higher if I actually get excited while drinking the tea.

Bristol, UK