Dry tea is glorously tippy, with an aroma like toasted angel food cake with raisins. Medium-hued liquor with notes of brown sugar and vanilla is smooth and self-drinking. Not as brisk as some Yunnan blacks, but clean finishing, nonetheless.

Jillian

So it isn’t smokey or peppery. Interesting.

Pamela Dean

No smoke or pepper that I discerned. “Not as brisk” might have been due to my making it less strong than other folks might do. Using more leaf or an extra min of steep might bring out a more classic Yunnan profile. But the Yunnan golds get much of their popularity from their smoothness, do they not? Suits me, as I avoid the bitter tastes!

Jillian

I’ve usually heard Yunnans described as ‘peppery’ or ‘malty’ which doesn’t really equate ‘smooth’ to me, but I’ve only tried Adagio’s Yunnan Jig so I’m hardly an expert. ;)

Pamela Dean

Gosh, taste (and all the senses) are so personal - and my taste buds are 65 yrs old. Not an expert, either. Just got into loose leaf a year ago. Starting a local tea meetup group a few months ago has sent me into a steep learning curve. I enjoy reading your notes and comments, Jillian. There is so much more to tea, and life, to learn, and we’re nicely steeped in it! :)) .

Comments

Jillian

So it isn’t smokey or peppery. Interesting.

Pamela Dean

Note: I’m open to offers to swap tea samples. If you can’t message me, just comment on one of my tea notes, and I’ll respond.

I am fascinated and deeply impressed by the artistry and skill which coaxes such an array of qualities from one species of leaf. In 2009, I founded San Antonio Tea & Herb Enthusiasts. For intimate tastings with a small gathering, I’m practicing Asian-style tea service along the lines of Chinese gongfu cha yi. It’s a joy, turning people on to good tea! http://www.meetup.com/SA-Tea-Herb/

The most recent sign of my conversion to the deeply-steeped side: I’ve turned three large file boxes into “tea humidors” for aging pu-erh cakes and bricks at 65% humidity. Remote sensors within the “pumidors” relay the temperature and humidity readings to a base station on my desk.

I write about tea culture for the Examiner online newspaper: http://www.examiner.com/x-49007-San-Antonio-Tea-Examiner

My tea rating system:

0 – 10 … Ugh, throw it out
11 – 20 … Barely drinkable
21 – 40 … Passes for decent tea
41 – 60 … Good but unremarkable
61 – 80 … Delicious cuppa
81 – 90 … Wonder-full !
91 – 100 … The Stuff of Legends !

San Antonio TX USA